It doesn’t matter what business or project you’re working on, having the right tools can make all the difference in your success rates.
This couldn’t be truer when discussing SEO development and overall improvement.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is as quick a moving industry as any, with Google seemingly updating its algorithms every month while ranking for over 200 plus factors.
In this guide, we have listed our top-ranked SEO tools that include free and paid options.
*We will continue to update this tools guide every month* so please feel free bookmark this for the newest updates and SEO Tools.
You can also message us if we missed any of your favorite tools as we consider this an agile development open guide. There is 100’s of tools out there so we will only list our very top-ranked SEO tools.
The SEO tools are split into 4 main categories.
Each category has a top 8 tool ranking:
- Data Analysis & Rank Tracking SEO Tools
- Keyword Research SEO Tools
- Backlink & Content Building SEO Tools
- Technical SEO Tools
Data Analysis & Rank Tracking SEO Tools:
- Google Analytics – A free tracking tool that gives you detailed data on your website visitors and their actions on your site.
- Google Search Console / Webmaster Tools – Helps you monitor, maintain and troubleshoot your website.
- SERPs.com – Track thousands of keywords for many search engines.
- Moz Pro Rank Tracker – Retrieves search engine ranks for pages and keywords.
- SpyFu Rank Tracking – Keyword Tracker + Leading competitor analysis tool
- SerpWatcher – Rank tracking tool built with a focus on ease of use.
- SEMRush – Valuable keyword ranking tools for many different types of uses.
- Google Keyword Planner – Search for keyword data and also forecasted results.
Backlink & Content Building SEO Tools:
- Ahrefs backlink checker – Helps you learn why your competitors rank so high and what you need.
- BuzzSumo – Content data analysis reports for actionable insights.
- Moz SEO toolbar – Google Chrome & Mozilla plugin for data research on the go.
- Moz Link Explorer – Shows you link metrics for any website, including Page & Domain Authority.
- Just Reach Out – Powerful PR tool. Can be expensive for smaller business.
- Guest Post Tracker – Updated list of blogs that accept guest posts w/ free & paid options.
- Ontolo – Link prospecting tool. Find prospects quicker with high-quality assessments.
Technical – OnPage Optimization SEO Tools:
- Yoast SEO – WordPress website plugin. On the go SEO improvements & recommendations.
- SEO Site Checkup – Complete website analysis tool including improvement suggestions.
- Rank Math – WordPress website plugin. Designed for local and global SEO improvement.
- Google Pagespeed Insights – Analyzes content of web pages then generates suggestions that make pages faster.
- Pingdom Website Speed Testing – Enter a URL to test page load time and analyze it.
- Google Mobile Friendly Website Testing – Test how easily a visitor can use your web pages on mobile devices.
- ImageOptim – Easy to use image optimization tool to reduce all your images file sizes.
- Kraken – WordPress & SEO Plugin. Optimization of images automatically.
Keyword Research SEO Tools:
- Google Keyword Planner Must have Google Ads Account. Find the right keywords for your website pages and or google ads. Also includes a forecast tool option.
- KWFinder – On the go keyword research tool for local and global needs.
- SEMRush – Research and track keywords with free and paid tool options.
- The Hoth Keyword Research Tool – Optimize your existing content on-page SEO.
- Ahrefs Keyword Explorer – Discover thousands of great keywords to rank for, analyze their ranking difficulty, and calculate traffic potential.
- Long Tail Pro – Helps you find thousands of long tail keywords you can rank for.
- KeywordTool.io – A designed tool for generating up to 750 ideas from each term you punch into.
- Answer The Public – It fetches and maps keyword suggestions/predictions that you see when you perform a Google search.
Additional top used tools: (Best for specific functions)
- Google My Business (Free) – Great for Local SEO.
- UberSuggest – (Paid & Free Versions) – Reverse engineer your competitors’ SEO, content marketing, and social media marketing.
- LSI Graph – LSI Keyword Generator
- Whitespark – Citation and directory listing finder
How do choose the best ones for you?
If they’re all new to you, we recommend trying out a couple in each category and learning which ones work best for you right now.
Many of the paid programs included have some type of free trial available, which is normally a great way to test their services rather quickly including their customer support.
Depending on your industry needs and overall values like; features, user experience, aesthetics, KPI data, and reporting, each tool can vary, so it’s best when most are reviewed by someone.
If you find any tools have a positive return on your company or clients with time or dollars you can always keep using them and or assign it to a specialist to manage moving forward.
Even if you learn a top reviewed or ranked tool isn’t for you right now, maybe it could be in the future.
Before committing to try any of these tools you should also commit to learning and understanding the potential value they could bring for your short and long term goals.
Most top companies do a great job of minimizing the initial learning experience while presenting their best value offerings, so test and try them out for value potential!
If you found any of the tools helpful or would like to offer a suggestion for this SEO tool guide please send us a message!
Interested in Local SEO? Read our latest how too guide on local SEO.